Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Not our Best Day

Yesterday was a LOOOOOOONG day. We spent part of the morning at a viewing (Clay's Grandma Perkins passed away) the afternoon at a funeral and graveside dedication, and the afternoon and evening at the clinic and hospital.
It was cold at the cemetery so after all the official stuff was done, I took Thomas and Timothy to the truck so they could be out of the cold and watch movies. For some dumb reason the sprinklers were on, so Eva and I were racing to avoid the water, and as Eva opened the back door, Timothy fell out onto the pavement. I initially thought that Eva was the hurt one because she was crazy screaming, but as I listened to her shouting that she had given Timothy brain damage, I realized Timothy was the one in trouble. Brad was quick-thinking enough to grab a diaper for me to hold on Tim's head as we rushed to the clinic. Eva kept crying about it being her fault, and chastised Thomas for not holding on to Timothy. We kept reassuring them that it was all right, but when we got to the clinic and they saw how much blood there was they were both freaking out. Thank goodness at that moment Hollie came back to where we were and offered to take Eva and Thomas to the Family dinner. So Timothy ended up needing 3 stitches to close 2 wounds, and we had to take him to Monticello Hospital for a CT Scan to make sure he didn't have a cracked skull, or swelling of the brain. The fact that we haven't heard back on the scan tells us that it must have been okay, and Tim had been acting fine. I am thankful for my Dad and my Husband. They gave Timothy a Priesthood Blessing, and I know it made all the difference. I am so grateful for extended family. I did not have the ability to take care of Eva and Thomas emotionally yesterday. They needed the love and support of all of our Family so they could deal with the trauma. I am grateful this happened when Clay was with me. I don't think I could have handled it on my own. In fact, Timothy loves his Dad so much, he didn't want me during the clinic/hospital ordeal, he wanted his Daddy. Thanks to all the family who helped us through our first emergency ordeal.

7 comments:

Tim & Nancy said...

Poor guy, that looks awful! Give him a hug and kiss from us.

Worthy Glover Sr. or Gail Glover said...

My first instinct was to kiss it better, but since infection would be a serious complication, I decided not to do that. Somehow Mothers survive these crises almost as well as the resilient little ones. Heal quickly, Timmers!

Chrislynn said...

Wow! That looks scary! Luckily he is okay. I agree with Mom, Sophia fell down the stairs at Drew and Eryka's a few weeks ago, and I think the guilt I felt was worse than the fat lip she got.

Nan said...

Thank you, Brad for thinking of the diaper tournaquet. Thank you, Hollie for providing respite care for the other kids. Thank you, Clay for being the calming presence Timothy needed. And thank you, all of you for helping my poor sister survive the trauma of this crazy situation.

Get well soon, Timmers!

Danelle said...

OUCH!! Hey Kd, I just blog-hopped and helped myself to a little portion of your world...the picture that popped onto the screen was nasty!

Glad to hear that it all went as well as possible. Hope your nerves have had a chance to calm.

Cute blog, btw. Hope you don't mind visitors.

david said...

I hope the little guy is feeling better. It is never a good time for something like that but wow what a lousy day huh? They do recover though, Sara had stitches or staples 5 times before 5 years old as well as 2 concussions, hmmm maybe that explains things.

Lesli said...

Poor little fellow! I'm glad everything turned out alright! Believe it or not I remember the 1st time Tiel had to have stitches, she was outside with your sister Nan. I know Nan felt the same way - guilty. Remind Eva her little brother loves her and that isn't going to change!

Hugs and Kisses to ALL!!!