Wednesday, August 27, 2008

10 years and other nonsense

It's official, I have worked at Edge of the Cedars for 10 years now as the Museum Store Manager. At times I have questioned if my loyalty has been rewarded or recognized, but the honest reality is what other employer would let you work a flexible work-week under 30 hours, and still give you full benefits? None in Blanding, that is for sure. I recently ran some sales figures for my region manager to determine if our decline in visitation has lead to a decline in sales. While I have experienced a 10-20 % decline in visitation, I have actually produced a 20% or more increase in sales! Of course, the true test of how well you are doing is sales per visitor. For my industry (museum stores) we strive for an average of $2.00 per visitor. Well for the first half of the year my average sales per visitor was nearly $5.00 per visitor! It is rewarding to see the effects of my hard work in a concrete way like that.

5 comments:

Tim & Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing you success stories. I am glad that EOTC has worked out for you. I can remember when you moved home and worked at Best Western right before landing the EOTC job. Thank goodness you haven't been stuck at the front desk of the motel for the last 10 years.

Worthy Glover Sr. or Gail Glover said...

The museum is lucky to have you!

Lesli said...

Way to go KD - efficient and productive - what every good manager wants!

Nan said...

That's pretty impressive. And the work you do for the state, not just your museum, is HUGE. They really are lucky to have you.

david said...

Congratulations on your successes, just thank the source from which all your talents and intelligence come.